Hawaii New Registration | OnlineCarRegistration.org

New Registration

If you've just bought a car, or if you've recently moved, you'll need to get your car registered. Fortunately, OnlineCarRegistration.org is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the car registration process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."

The Car Registration Easy Guide™ is an independent value-add to official DMV services, which may be available for free or at an additional charge.
To download a guide specific to your needs, simply select a service and state above or find an official DMV site or local office.

New Vehicle Registration in Hawaii

How to get a new vehicle registration in Hawaii

It is a requirement by the law to register your vehicle before you are allowed to drive. Whether you car is new or used or purchased from a private owner or dealer you will need to register your vehicle. If your car is registered in another state that will not be legal in your current state make sure to get your vehicle registered in Hawaii. When you register for the first time you can go in person after that yearly renewals can be done by mail, online or in person.

Registering for the first time:

  • Make sure to get your vehicle inspected and turn in the certificate. Vehicle inspections must be performed at an authorized service station or vehicle repair shop. Once the vehicle passes inspection you will be issued an inspection certification. This will cost you $15.
  • Click here to complete a vehicle title registration form.
  • Bring the completed title registration form with you to your local DMV along with the inspection certification. You will also need to provide proof of insurance and the odometer reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
  • If your vehicle was registered in another state you must also bring the original out-of-state title. If you can't get the title bring the registration document along with proof of sales tax payment.

What you need to submit when you register out of state:

  • The current out of state registration.
  • Bill of shipping or lading receipt.
  • A Safety Inspection Certificate.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Certificate of title if you are the lien holder.
  • Fill out an out of state application form.
  • The registration fee will be determined by the office concerned.

How to transfer from one county to another:

  • Complete an application for registration.
  • Hand in the current registration of the other county.
  • Submit the other county's certificate of title if you are the lien holder.
  • The fee will be determined by the office concerned.


  • The registration fee depends on your model year or the vehicle's total weight.
  • Title application fee. Depending on the county the title application fee is usually $28 or $33.