If you've just bought a car, or if you've recently moved, you'll need to get your car registered. Fortunately, OnlineCarRegistration.org is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the car registration process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
New Vehicle Registration in Kentucky
How to get a new vehicle registration in Kentucky
It is required in the state of Kentucky to register your vehicle. Whether your vehicle is used or new or purchased by a private party or dealer you will need to register your vehicle. If you registered your vehicle in another state it is not valid it must be registered in Kentucky. When you register for the first time it can be done in person after that the yearly renewals can be done online, by mail or in person.
If you bought a vehicle from a dealer or a person or if you want to transfer ownership you have 15 days in which you must register it. If you are new resident, you must do this within 10 days.
Registering for the first time:
- If your vehicle does not have a Kentucky title you will need to get your vehicle inspected at the local sheriff's office. Once the vehicle passes inspection you will be issued an inspection certificate.
- Click here to complete a vehicle title/registration form.
- Show proof of the documents below.
- Social security number.
- Title lien statement if applicable.
- Manufacturer's certificate of origin.
- New residents will have to provide the original out of state title.
- Go to your local clerk's office and bring the completed title/registration form with you along with the inspection certificate. You will also need to provide proof of insurance and the odometer reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
- If your vehicle was registered in another state you must also bring the original out-of-state title. If you can't get the title bring the registration document along with proof of sales tax payment.
- This can vary depending on the model year or the vehicle's total weight. Usually, the fee will be $21.
- Title application fee which is $6.