If you've just bought a car, or if you've recently moved, you'll need to get your car registered. Fortunately, OnlineCarRegistration.org is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the car registration process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
New Vehicle Registration in Ohio
How to get a new vehicle registration in Ohio
It is a requirement in Ohio to register all your vehicles. Whether your car is used or new or bought from a private owner or dealership you will need to register your vehicle. If you registered your vehicle in another state it will not be valid you must register it in Ohio. Your first registration must be done in person after that renewals can be done online, by phone, mail or telephone.
There are no late fees if you don't pay your renewal on time.
Registering for the first time:
- Ohio does not require you to show proof of insurance when you register your vehicle but you must be insured.
- If you purchased your vehicle from a dealer then the dealer will handle the paperwork if not make sure to collect the following additional papers:
- The vehicle title.
- Have proof of your identity.
- If your vehicle will be registered in Coyahuga, Geuga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage or Summit counties you will need an emission inspection certificate or exemption form.
- Go to your BMV office with all the completed forms.
- The fee.
- License plate fees.
- If you are registering an out-of-state vehicle you will need to pay an additional $3.50 inspection fee.