If you've just bought a car, or if you've recently moved, you'll need to get your car registered. Fortunately, OnlineCarRegistration.org is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the car registration process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
New vehicle registration in Rhode Island
How to get a new vehicle registration in Rhode Island
It is a requirement to register your vehicle in Rhode Island. Whether your car is used or new or purchased from a private owner or dealership you will need to register your vehicle. If you registered your vehicle in another state it will not be valid you must register it in Rhode Island. Your first registration must be done in person after that your yearly renewals can be done online or by mail.
Registering for the first time:
- You must show proof of insurance when you register your vehicle.
- Gather all the necessary papers. If you purchased your vehicle from a dealer then the dealer will send the forms to the DMV.
- If you purchased your car privately or just moved here you will need the following:
- Click here for a completed application form.
- Get the title and have the bill of sale if you bought it privately.
- Make sure to have a VIN inspection certificate from your local police department.
- Provide proof of residency.
- Have the completed tax exempt form if the vehicle was bought out of state and sales tax was paid in another state.
- If you currently lease your car you will need a power of attorney form from your leasing company.
- Visit your local DMV office with your completed forms.
- You can collect your new plates when you go to register.
- Place your month and year stickers on the license plates once you get them.
- If your vehicle doesn't already have an inspection certificate and is not exempt from inspection you have 5 days to have your vehicle inspected for safety and emissions.
- Registration fee.
- 7% sales tax for new vehicles.
- License plate fees if you want personalized license plates.