If you've just bought a car, or if you've recently moved, you'll need to get your car registered. Fortunately, OnlineCarRegistration.org is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the car registration process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
New Vehicle Registration in Virginia
How to get vehicle registration in Virginia
Whether you have a new or used vehicle the state of Virginia requires you to have your car registered with the Virginia DMV office. The first time you register your car in Virginia you must do it in person, after that each year you can renew it online, in person, or by mail.If your new to Virginia and have your car registered in a different state you will also have to have your vehicle registered in Virginia.
To apply for your vehicle registration in Virginia:
- You must provide proof of car insurance. If you don't have insurance you will have to pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee witch is only valid for 12 months, but you will not be insured.
If your car was not bought from a dealer or the dealer could not send out all the necessary paperwork, be prepared to collect the following paperwork
- Vehicle title.
- Safety inspection completed. (if required)
- Provide proof of an emissions control test.(if required)
- Completely filled out registration application form.
- Go to your local DMV office and take all of the above with you.
The registration fee you will be required to pay will vary depending on a few things. The normal registration fee is $38.75, and if you have a motor cycle only $26.75. If you live in an area that has a local vehicle registration program there will be an extra fee, and if you have a personalized license plate there will be an extra fee as well.