You need an up-to-date registration card in order to drive your vehicle, so if your registration has been lost or stolen, you have no choice but to replace it. In that case, you've come to the right place. We'll walk you through the process of getting your car registration replaced as quickly and painlessly as possible. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
Replace your lost vehicle registration in Texas
How to replace your lost vehicle registration in Texas
In the state of Texas, you are required to replace your registration card, stickers, and license plates if they have become damaged or stolen, or you have lost them. Depending on which item needs to be replaced, there may be a slightly different procedure.
Replacement Registration Cards
If your registration card is lost, stolen or destroyed, you can apply for a replacement. Just follow these easy steps:
- Locate the nearest County Tax Office.
- Show your driver's license, proof of insurance, and license plate.
- If you have the registration card, but it has been damaged beyond repair, include the card with your application.
- Pay the fee, which will vary depending on the county you live in. Bring a check, cash, or credit or debit card.
Replacement License Plates
If either of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must obtain replacement plates immediately. This process can be completed in person or through the mail. If the plates have been stolen, report the theft to the police immediately. Your local county tax office will issue new plates with new numbers when you show them the police report. You will be able to keep the same number if you have personalized plates.
If your plates have been lost or damaged, bring the following to your County Tax Office:
- The damaged plates
- Texas driver's license, or state ID card
- Payment for fees. The duplicate license plate fee depends on what type of plates you have (regular, special interest, or personalized), and what county you live in.
Replacing Your License Plate Sticker
If the sticker on your license plate has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you must acquire a new sticker. You do not have to file a police report on a stolen sticker. Just go to your local County Tax Office and fill out the application for a replacement sticker. If you live in a county with a population less than 50,000, the fee will be $5.30. Otherwise, it will be $6.30.